Nearly a dozen art sculptures are located on the beautiful campus of Fort Hays State University.
The first sculpture to look for is "Interlude," located on the south side of Rarick Hall near the main entrance. "Interlude"—sculpted by FHSU artist Gary Coulter—was dedicated May 5, 1994. The work is meant to portray the strength found in all women. A grant from the Jean Stouffer Fund at FHSU paid for the molding and casting costs of the 357-pound bronze sculpture.
Across the promenade, located in front of Martin Allen Hall, you will notice "Deeply Rooted." This provocative work was sculpted by FHSU artist Linda Ganstrom and was dedicated October 2, 1999. The work was influenced by the writings of George A. Kelly, a professor of Psychology at FHSU from 1931-1943, who later taught at Ohio State University and Brandeis University. He became widely known as a personal theorist, clinician, and teacher. Sculpting and construction costs were paid for by a grant from the Jean Stouffer Fund at FHSU.
Across the street to the south of Sheridan Hall is a sculpture of native limestone by local artist Pete Felten. It was dedicated in 1997, and is called the Contemplation Garden Sculpture and features a teacher and student.
Pieces of Our World
Another major sculpture is located in front of Tomanek Hall. "Pieces of Our World," otherwise known as the Dalton/Kellerman fountain, honors two former FHSU administrators, Stanlee V. Dalton and James V. Kellerman who both served as registrar for a combined 57 years and together signed more than 35,650 diplomas. Mr. Dalton served as registrar from 1936, until his retirement in 1971. Mr. Kellerman became registrar in 1971, and served in that position until his retirement in 1995. "Pieces of Our World" represents children's views of science. It was cast in bronze from original pieces created by over 200 middle school students from the Hays area. FHSU faculty and students casted and welded the bronze pieces to complete the sculpture. The project was supported by the Jean Stouffer Fund.